Saying Hasta Luego To My Travel Life

It was time to go. After about ten months overseas, I was ready to go home and see my family again, though probably not quite ready to get back to the grind. It had been a fantastic experience; I had seen and done quite a bit, and more than I had my entire life. After a few sad days anticipating the goodbye to Joe and then, finally sharing one last day together, I was alone with Lima.

I had my last meals at the usual places I ate, and said goodbye and thank you like I usually would do after paying, but it was difficult to ignore the sadness I felt. I wondered if they would wonder why I would stop coming. I strolled about the old city again, walked the now so familiar streets and sat on the steps of the church at the Plaza de Armas where Joe and I would talk and people-watch as we ate pizza and drank sweet coffee. I already missed Lima.

I missed the large Plaza and its beautiful old buildings, the free concerts that entertained us there, the walks in Miraflores, the parks and malls, the cheap markets and cheap breakfasts at the mercado, catching combis to and from Mega Plaza, 40c/hr internet access, trying to find English movies at the cinemas, mazamorra... so many things. I was glad for my sunglasses; tears actually escaped my eyes.

Once I regained my composure, I crossed the Plaza for the last time, bottom lip trembling. I turned around to look at the place and could barely hold the tears back again. I came to the footbridge that I needed to cross to catch the combi back, and seeing it and San Cristobal in the background, made the tears fall again. I must have been a sight.

Then, it seemed so sudden, I was on a plane to Buenos Aires where I would catch another back to Australia. The trip was a long and tiring one, so by the time I landed, I was quite used to the idea of having finished the adventure. It was strange but good to be home.

Comments

  1. Welcome back to the land down-under mate! I'm heading back out on travels soon. Hold down the fort for me :-p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Don't forget to choose Name/URL from the drop down menu if you are not logged in.

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog