The Longest Haul

Feeling decidedly hair greasy, smelly, prone to DVTs, and altogether sick of being on a bus for days, Julie and I boarded the worst yet to Salta. Here is my journal entry for the final leg of our 61 hour trip from El Calafate:
We are traveling with Chevallier via semi cama and so far, it is the most disappointing carrier. I will admit that we are but two hours into our twenty-odd hour journey, but there is a distinct lack of meal trays and worse still, blankets, on board that were gladly present on other buses. Our dinner was dealt as we each boarded; two anaemic sandwiches and four cookies.

Julie is convinced that this is all the food they will provide for the entire journey and is planning to ration her portion to at least supply her with breakfast in the morning. Presently her hunger is as keen as her good intentions however, and at six o'clock, two hours into the journey, we both succumb and have our meagre supper.

Hardly satisfied, Julie continues to grumble and pout like a punished child at a loss of her wrong-doing, certain it is the colour of her hair that has subjected her to such treatment. I manage to capture mutterings of E. coli and frozen and/or numb bums, but that is only where it begins.

There are no lights after dusk, so her book is reluctantly put away. When the lights are eventually restored, her book is far too difficult to extract from beneath her seat, as the gentleman seated in front of her has reclined his backrest to its maximum capability. There is a movie showing on the television, but while it is in English with Spanish subtitles, the volume is barely audible to be bothered with. A young child sits behind us, making annoying child noises and we both fear that if we recline our seats any more, we may crush the smelly thing.

The cabin becomes increasingly cold, so I slip on my fleece with sleepy difficulty and spread my furry bomber jacket across three out of four of our knees. It will have to do, though I am anticipating an all-night battle for the jacket, otherwise, a sleepless night shivering under nought but a three-dollar Chinese Pashmina scarf, if the blankets never arrive tonight.

Having finished her book, she rolls over (the all-night battle begins) and slips her eye mask on, with all the manner of someone being sent to bed without a proper dinner. I fight a laugh and ask her if she even knows the time. "Bedtime" is her predictable and confident reply. Despite the hour being only seven-thirty, an hour during which the baby behind us is still awake, Julie seems to be satisfied that to remain unconscious for the longest period during this bus trip is in order for some maintenance of sanity.

I promise to wake her if, by any small chance, a hot meal is delivered to the bus' hungriest patrons.
Four days, one bus trip, and a lot of baby wipes later, we were in Salta.

Comments

  1. Muchas gracias for the up-dates. That is indeed and epic journey! I praise both of you to surviving that gruelling journey. Did you get to see some nice landscape while it was daytime? I have finished watching "The Duchess" starring Kiera Knightly. Quite a good movie, whom she is the greatx3 aunt of the Late Princess Di. Anyway....I am glad both of you got to your destination safely.
    Oh what is the "Epic Shithead Challenge?" x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Lani, this is Julie's favourite Aunty "Trish"
    I have just LOVED your blog of the trip so far!!
    Say hi to Juile for me & I look forward to reading about the rest of your adventures :)
    Trishee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Epilogue written the next day...

    By the same brilliant wit that announced her "frostbite of the foot" in El Calafate, Julie has diagnosed her current condition as "bus cold". With the pretense of tucking her in to aid her warmth, I slowly work the furry bomber jacket to cover only herself. But I am caught in my chivalrous act, my ramble on the benefits of being tucked in betraying me, and she raises her eye mask to see my uncovered knees.

    And with equal nobility, and perhaps a pinch of guilt, she insists that the jacket be shared and returns it to its former position despite my argument that my knees are in a sufficient state of warmness. There is no sense in her being cold while a solution is at hand, but it is difficult to argue with her, as it has always been, and more often than not, it is a quicker way to allow her the last word.

    So my anticipated "all night battle for the jacket" turned out to be more an all night stand-off of nobility, and I am near shamed to have expected the selfish nature of the former. At some stage through the night however, it seems Julie's instinctive need for warmth eventually won over her social graces and she finally accepted full use of the jacket as I had hoped she would.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Don't forget to choose Name/URL from the drop down menu if you are not logged in.

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog