The Incredible Iguaçu Falls

I had promised Joe that I wouldn't be away from Peru too long, and was determined to make it back to Lima by my birthday. I had six days left; the last three needed to be allocated to the full three day bus trip from Buenos Aires to Lima, so I was left with just three days to experience the Falls on both the Brazilian and Argentinean sides, as well as allow for overnight stays to get buses. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was to have a few lucky days.

I finally arrived in the town of Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil at 2:30pm. I thought it was too late to see the Falls and had all but decided to find accommodation for the night. Before I left the bus station, I went to the tourist information desk for details on how to get to the Falls and they said I still had time today. What the hell! I thought. I jumped on the next shuttle and was pleased to see that the visitor's centre had lockers where I could stow away my pack and be free to wander.

The Falls were just incredible. In the park, I took my time walking along the appointed paths along the river. There were some lovely waterfalls along the way, but the permanent mist hovering above the horizon further on lured me onwards.


Though I was watching from across the river, the mist still dampened my clothes, which was nothing compared to the main event! There was a platform out over the water and a few steps out in front of the main Brazilian waterfall meant that even a rain poncho was of absolutely no use. The amount of water crashing around me was unbelievable. Surreal.

It was dark by the time I returned to Foz do Iguaçu, and the cheap hostel I wanted to stay in was fully booked. I ventured up the road where one hotel was far too dear, and the one next to that as well. But the fellow at the desk gave me a 30% discount for my business, so I settled into a cushy room with cable for the night.


The Incredible Iguazu Falls


In the morning, I check out of the hotel and went directly to the Puerto Iguazu, over the border. I learned that there was a bus leaving that afternoon for Buenos Aires and bought a ticket. The rest of the day, I explored the pretty park and visited the spectacular waterfalls. They were more beautiful than on the Brazilian side and extended through the jungle a fair way. I was able to go on the jet boat that took us nearly under both Argentinean and Brazilian falls. It was exhilarating; like being out at sea in the middle of a storm. I couldn't open my eyes, there was that much water. Well worthwhile!


Fortunately, I had the sense to wear my quick dry gear, so everything was pretty much dry by the time I got to the bus bound for Buenos Aires. I had done everything I wanted to do; nothing was sacrificed, thanks to good luck. I settled in for the overnight trip, satisfied with the Falls, yet a sense of sadness came over me; I had just completed the last leg of my trip. I was on my way home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog