Wax Off, Asshole!

I was out walking in the old town of Antigua, headed towards one of the fabulous ruins within walking distance. Antigua is such a touristy place that I felt quite safe, safer than when in most other places, but a few steps onwards and a bad feeling came over me. I looked around and consciously realized there was only myself and one other person on the street.

Usually I feel safe if I'm the only one on the street or if it is busy with foot traffic. When there is only one or two other people around, I get a bit nervous, since my mind likes to suspect them of being potential muggers.

Anyway, that was exactly the case at the time. The other person was a young guy who was walking the same footpath as I, in the same direction but ahead. I kept my distance.

Unfortunately, he decided to do a 180 and start walking towards me. Though I kept my pace and route to appear cool, I was wired to react to any movement aimed at me. I was lucky to have been so paranoid and prepared, because my instincts were correct. The guy made to grab me as he passed.

I was a spectator. I saw my left arm swing down, Wax On style, blocking the guy's reach before grabbing his wrist. I felt my right arm pull back a solid fist. He ducked, pulled his arm free and ran off. I was nearly shaking with the adrenaline rush that in retrospect, I felt that I should have used it and made contact when I had the chance, or run him down or something.

I went on to visit the ruins and had a lovely afternoon, though a few times I would remember the incident and the anger would boil up inside me, really making me regret I didn't take the opportunity for a violent and just revenge in the form of a black eye or bloody nose. Fucking perverts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog