Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

I was warned by everything and everyone about safety in Latin America. Websites, guide books, my family, friends, even total strangers would warn me not to trust anyone, to set cab prices before getting in, to watch my luggage at all times, to keep my valuables within sight... all of the sensible things one should do when traveling.

So I was well informed about various scams, guarded about pick-pockets and bag snatchers. It was inevitable that I would encounter at least one loss due to unscrupulous human activities. I had heard many stories, but have been lucky so far. But no one warned me about that which I would end up losing my things to. My forgetfulness.

I have a terrible memory. If I just met you, I won't remember your name, even if we've been hanging out for the last four days. I don't remember birthdays unless you're direct family, nor do I remember anniversaries, long weekends and other important dates. I have a terrible sense of direction which is mostly due to my terrible memory. I will be walking down a street, enter a shop to browse, then exit, not knowing which direction I came from. Don't ask me today's date or even what I did yesterday.


What I Lost


My mobile phone. An awesome Nokia N73 that cost me over $700 when I bought it, I lost in the Bolivian Amazon. I had left it by my pillow since it functioned as my alarm clock.

My head lamp. It was a really handy LED thing that was valued at about $30. I had been using it in the bus to read and write overnight and left it hanging on the arm rest.

My iPod. An old thing, but full of my favorite music. I left it in a bus in Ecuador, when I still had six months left of my trip, along with my Spanish phrase book and a sling bag I had bought in the Peruvian jungle which I got very attached to.

My cardigan. It was a great thin woollen layer for cool days or nights. I felt so comfortable wearing it, but lost it walking along a road somewhere in the Ecuadorian highlands.

My polar fleece. The one that treated me so well in Patagonia and all high altitude coldness of the Andes or air-conditioned buses. I had used it as a pillow in the back of a shuttle in Guatemala and forgot it.

Apart from my documents, camera and sneakers, these were all the valuable and practical things I had brought with me on the trip. I was terrified that the last thing I would lose was my camera and all the photos I had taken, and hopefully I have not jinxed myself by posting this up!

Comments

  1. Later in my trip, I lost my straw cowboy hat by leaving it on a bus.

    Also, a word on crime and scams. The scam I was victim to on more than one occasion involved cab drivers. I have a love-hate relationship with them. Sometimes being ripped off cannot be helped! I was also nearly victim to an assault (see Wax Off, Asshole!) and a pick-pocket who got away with nothing, since I keep nothing valuable in my pockets unless they are zippered.

    All in all, I was extremely lucky to have traveled for such a long time and not have fallen victim to damaging crimes. I wish all future travelers even better luck than mine on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nini! (remember me? We travelled around central america together.... :P)May 02, 2010 6:32 pm

    What....? No mention of the magicalbluesoapboxholder and the hooligan that robbed it from you while trying to wash the sleaze off his back??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nini, I cannot believe I forgot about the magicalbluesoapboxholder! See, bad memory. I think perhaps the trixygreensoapboxholder has been doing such an adequate job that I don't miss it as much as expected!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Don't forget to choose Name/URL from the drop down menu if you are not logged in.

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog