A Real Packing List: Bags


Back Pack

I have an Outer Limits "Andorra" 65L. It is an expandable front-loader travel pack that zips up (as opposed to a top-loading rucksack that uses a cinch-pull system for closure). The straps can also be zipped away, which makes it less fiddly when checking in or being handled. I will be packing it unexpanded to allow me room later on.

Retrospect: I ended up buying a cheap 35L back pack after sending my big jacket and boots home, and leaving half my clothes behind in Peru. I survived easily with 35L over the succeeding 6 months, and half the bag volume was occupied by my fleece jacket and toiletries. Packing light in this way has changed the way I travel and how I look at gear. I intend to pack no more than what can fit in a carry-on sized bag in the future.


Day Pack

The 65L came with a 10L day pack that zipped onto the main pack. The daypack has handy pockets and was comfortable to carry.

Retrospect: The day pack was rarely used as other bags easily replaced it.


Sling/Shoulder Bag

There are no pockets or closure but I've never had issues with the lack of these. The strap is long so I wear it across my body, leaving my arms free. It is big enough to carry a jacket, a bottle of water and knick knacks, and packs down quite small when not in use.

Retrospect: I sent it home after not using it initially, but after dumping the 65L for the 35L, I realised I needed something like it. I bought a sling bag in Peru which I later lost in Ecuador. So in Ecuador, I bought a replacement. Definitely useful, especially since you can wear it at the same time as your main pack while looking less ridiculous than the tourists wearing two back packs at the same time, and it allows  you to have all the important things within easy reach.


Handbag

I use my brown Steve Madden handbag a lot. It survives my everyday abuse, has many pockets and can carry a cardigan and a bottle of water.

Retrospect: I love this bag, but it was oftentimes too small. The shoulder/sling bag was an adequate everyday bag that made a handbag superfluous.


Stowaway Bag

These are handy for overnight trips, shopping, or laundry. I am using a 30L Black Wolf stowaway backpack (pictured above "stowed away"). When stowed away, it can be used as a bum bag with the extra straps. This "feature" makes for a very bulky and daggy bum bag that no would actually ever use. Ever. I cut the straps off. You can find stowaway bags in cheaper material that packs even smaller and also in tote and duffel styles.

Retrospect: This was a very handy bag to have. I had left it behind with my 65L, but always kept wishing I had it. I bought a duffel style back pack to replace it. These styles of bags are good for occasions when the everyday sling bag is too small or inconvenient; for hikes or the beach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

Learning Spanish