Welcome To Brazil

It was Carnaval time in Brazil and after stop overs in Cancún, Miami, and São Paolo, I finally landed in Recife. My final destination was actually to be Salvador de Bahia for the week, but I had the better part of the day to explore Recife before the bus south. I hadn't even left the airport and already I knew I was going to like Brazil.

There was a colorful welcome committee waiting for us in baggage claim, where a small band played lively music for costumed dancers. It seemed no one wanted to leave the airport while awaiting relatives outside wondered what the delay was.


Recife In 6 Hours


There was an extremely helpful and friendly staff at the airport tourist information desk and thankfully, they spoke English perfectly. The ladies there rang around to find out approximate times for buses to Salvador and explained how and which local bus I was to catch to the estaçao. Meanwhile, they said, I could stop at a popular tourist area to check out the beach and restaurant strip.

Fortunately, with a small backpack, this was all relatively easy, even in the heat and humidity. I knew no Portuguese so ensuring the local bus I boarded was the right one was a little difficult, but thanks to the kind and patient people on board, I was assured it headed to the beach. There was an odd turnstile just behind the front axle, manned by the ticket cashier. It was a bit awkward to go through with a backpack, even a small one, so I hung about the front part of the bus, which is apparently targeted by thieves because they can make a quick getaway. But the beach wasn't far, so I took my chances. Recife seemed like a nice place; if I revisit, I would definitely stay longer to check the place out.

At the beach, I did a bit of people watching, had some lunch and in the afternoon, finally found the bus to the Estaçao Joana Bezerra. I had been deprived of a decent sleep for a few days and nodded right off on the bus. I figured my stop would be the one that most people would get off at, and used that sleepy assumption as my indicator. Fortunately, I was correct.

Comments

  1. Some nice pictures about Brazil! Hope you enjoy! http://migre.me/xkyv http://migre.me/xkzd

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Don't forget to choose Name/URL from the drop down menu if you are not logged in.

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog