My Love Affair With Volcanoes Continues

As soon as I arrived in the old town of Antigua, Guatemala, I was impressed. Cobblestones, colorful old façades and tile roofs, colonial buildings in various stages of renovation and disrepair. I found El Gato Negro hostel and checked in, quickly dumping my bag and heading out to explore in the perfect soft light of the setting sun.

The hostel was decent, socialable and I can forgive the damp dorm (hidden mold set off one of the girls' allergies) because breakfast was included. Not just your marmalade on toast and a coffee kind of breakfast, but big hot ones, of pancakes and fruit, typical Guatemalan breakfasts, French toast and other delicious offerings that cost almost as much as what you pay for each night in total.

The next day I dedicated to exploring the old city, looking for photo opportunities of the pretty streets and buildings. As I walked along one of the many picturesque streets, I turned around, wondering if a reverse view would be just as nice.

What I saw was an already photogenic street, but in the lightly misty background was the impressive and commanding Volcán Agua. It was one of those times I was struck with awe, as in the moment I walked up to the beach in Santa Marta, Colombia, and saw the Caribbean Sea for the first time.

There was something so magical, mysterious and almost frightening about it, that I can totally appreciate the Mayan's worship of volcanoes. I had already seen and visited many other volcanoes, Volcán de Totumo in Colombia, Volcán Poás and Volcán Irazú in Costa Rica, the twin volcanic peaks of Nicaragua's Isla de Ometepe and Cerro Negro, but my fascination was still as strong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog