Lanquín On The River

I jumped into the back of a shuttle headed for Lanquín and when we stopped for a toilet break about an hour or two outside the small town, our driver got on his phone to confirm everyone's room bookings. "It's the weekend, so even if you have booked, it is good to confirm just in case," he said. Hmmm, I thought. I had lost track of the days and knew that I should have booked for a weekend, but didn't realize that it had crept up on me.

Fortunately, the driver offered the phone to those who didn't already have a booking. So I spoke the person on the other end, not knowing what the name of the place was, where it was or how much I would be parting with. My only consolation was that it was the same place that several of the other backpackers in the shuttle were staying. I asked the German girls, Christiane and Rebecca, what the place was supposed to be like. They told me it was called El Retiro Lodge and assured me that they heard it was great.

And it was.

It was situated out of town, on the sloping green banks of the Cahabón River. The dorms were in stilted huts with private double rooms in the lofts above. There was internet, slow but present, a great restaurant bar, hammocks everywhere and even a wood fire sauna by the water (which no one seemed to use).

The food in the restaurant was a bit expensive, but superb, all-you-can-eat buffet style and a real social experience. It was a great way to meet fellow travelers, even if not many people stayed long after seeing the incredible Semuc Champey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog