Truly Essential? Or Just Convenient?

I had always intended on taking my phone while travelling and there are reasons it is a good idea:
  • it has a calendar, alarm clock and calculator, among other things
  • people at home can contact you in the event of an emergency at home
  • you can ring fire, ambulance or police in the event of a personal emergency
  • if you are traveling with someone, you can contact each other if you are separated

Julie never intended on taking a phone with her, and here are her reasons:
  • it requires recharging too much
  • it is another expensive thing to get damaged, lost or stolen
  • whoever wants to contact her can do so by email

Both sides have valid arguments. On one hand, its presence provides a sense of security in an emergency, and also allows the folks at home peace of mind. On the other hand, traveling without a phone truly disconnects you from your life back home. There are alternatives such as international phone cards that are lighter and less burdensome options, voicemail messages for folks at home, and plentiful internet cafes ensure you are consistently connected.

Comments

  1. Creo in this era most ppl w/ movils feel so empty without one nowadays. I feel that too. Pero I realise I don't use my mobile much as i use too. The only times I will use it will be just calling (texting most times) to the people I normally see. Of course there are both pros and cons with or without movils. Sometimes I just use mine as a camera. I say go with your gut instinct. On the other hand with my USA/NZ trip I will be bringing mine as to communicate with my rellies over there (I.e picking me up at certain place/where they are etc..)..then again after reading this I think I may consider leaving my phone and just use the netcafes.

    Hasta pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up losing my phone in Bolivia, about a month into my trip. I never replaced it because the internet and Skype (and WiFi is available in some places) are so prolific in Latin America that it was easy to stay in touch every day if needed. And an interesting fact: I lost it because I used it as an alarm clock, forgetting that it was under my pillow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Don't forget to choose Name/URL from the drop down menu if you are not logged in.

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

Learning Spanish