Pulhapanzak Falls

Like Cerro Negro in Nicaragua, I stopped in the middle of Honduras just to visit it. I had heard that the capital, Tegucigalpa, was a dangerous place and managed to pass through on an international bus from Léon, straight to San Pedro Sula... reputed to be just as dangerous.

I stayed at Tamarindo Hostel which was lovely and friendly, like a homestay, though its location was more than walking distance to any worthwhile places. Planning to head for Pulhapanzak Falls, I was resigned to taking a cab to the bus terminal. The streets around the hostel were quiet and I walked towards the main road, looking for a cab. But a micro pulled up and said he could take me to the terminal.

He didn't. He took me to the mercado where he pointed at another micro that could take me to the terminal. There, I asked a random jalador where I could find a bus to "Pulhapanzak". "To Pulha?" he asked. Yes. He pointed, "To Pulha." I had been practising saying the town's name in its entirety to give myself some credibility by not stumbling over the syllables, but by perfecting it, I still came out as touristy as ever.

I enjoyed the one hour trip into the country and was dropped off at a roundabout in the little town. From there, it was only a short walk down a dirt road to a vine covered sign pointing the way.

After taking photos of the beautiful waterfall, I found a guide who led me to the bottom pools where we climbed over rocks to wade in the cool fresh water. I had originally considered taking proper swimming gear to the excursion but felt too lazy to organize all that and instead went in fully clothed, shoes and all. We walked under the falling water as it crashed down, sat behind the curtain in numerous overhangs and tiny caves and bomb-dived a small distance into the lower pool.

Positively saturated, but thoroughly satisfied with the experience, I bought some lunch and walked about as I dried off. I caught a chicken bus back to San Pedro Sula from the main road at the bottom of the hill, thankful for its vinyl seats.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog