I Reckon I'll Only Be There For A Night

"Where are you headed next?" someone asked me. "Colombia," I told them. Travelers can be grouped into two distinct sets; those who tell you not to go because they have never been and they have heard that it is dangerous, and those who have been and encourage you to go because it is awesome. This person was the former. But I had heard from both sides already and was mostly interested in Cartagena, and so decided to only stop by Bogota for a night anyway.

I'm not sure why I even made the assumption that I wouldn't enjoy the city, since previous experiences have shown me that "unpleasant" Lima and "dangerous" Quito, both of which I had planned to only stop by for a night or two, ended up being cities that I quite liked.

I met up with Sonny who I met in Cali and we went for a walk around, visiting the various plazas where there were lively craft markets and the odd live performances, and then the larger Bolivar Plaza in the middle of the government district.

We visited the Presidential Palace, surrounded by its high fences and the National Guard. I really wanted a decent photo of it between the bars and asked one of the guards if I could approach the fence. He let me, and even agreed to pose for a photo as well... as long as we didn't walk along the footpath. The acceptable distance from the fence is to walk in the gutter.

The Museo de Oro was worth a look, pretty good as far as museums go, and if you don't want to pay, visit on Sundays when it is free for everyone. Sonny and I also took the cable car up the Monserrate mirador which was okay but not at all worth the hefty cost to get there!

Parque Bolivar, a fair way from the old town, was a huge park with running tracks, playgrounds for kids, a fake lake and large lawns with miniature forests of evergreen trees. It also hosts big events, as I found out; there was some kind of concert happening on one side of it so I had to walk several blocks to get to the other entrance. In the park, no traffic noise permeates through the trees and it is large enough and quiet enough that you can be truly alone for most of your stay there. I would have liked to have explored the tracks weaving through the trees on a rental bike though.


The Platypus Hostel


I stayed in the touristy area of the old town, with its cobbled streets and colorful building facades topped with old terracotta tiles. I never had a problem with crime in Bogota, but it was the first place I heard multiple first hand stories of theft and muggings from people who stayed at my hostel. I made a point of not walking the streets at night, to be cautious, and couldn't really go out dancing anyway with a freshly sprained ankle from Cali.

The Platypus Hostel in the middle of the old town was a good place to stay for a couple of days. It had a decent kitchen, internet, laundry and some nice common areas. Location was good, too, within walking distance to everything you need and want to see. Note though, that there is a hotel called Casa Platypus just around the corner that is a different place altogether.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bus Ticket Is Not Enough

Beware Of Conmen, Thieves And Daydreams

So You Want To Start A Travel Blog